From Nara with love :)

Archive for September 2012

A federal court has awarded $7.2 million to a Colorado man for damages caused by the chemicals used in artificial butter flavoring of microwave popcorn.

Wayne Watson was the first consumer diagnosed with the respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, also called “popcorn lung” because it’s more commonly diagnosed in workers with long-term exposure to the chemical diacetyl during manufacturing. “I’ve lost roughly 50% of my lung capacity,” says Watson, who ate microwave popcorn about twice a day for 10 years until his diagnosis. “We won this case because the truth was on our side. ”The defendants, popcorn maker Gilster-Mary Lee Corporation, Kroger Co. and Dillon Companies are expected to appeal the decision.

The problem is that the public doesn’t know what chemicals have now replaced diacetyl, or the effects of diacetyl in other products. The reality is that nobody knows what’s happening with these other products, because nobody is testing them.



free counters

  • 29,806 hits